Smelly feet are the result of sweat mixed with bacteria. Sweat by itself does not stink. But when bacteria are introduced to the socks and shoes, it sticks to them. Eventually the smelly sweat sticks to the skin on the feet, causing a foul odor.
The two ways to cure and prevent smelly feet are to reduce the bacteria and reduce sweat.
We at Affiliated Podiatrists recommend:
- Wash your feet daily with antibacterial soap and warm water.
- Always wear fresh synthetic socks.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Use a disinfecting spray in your shoes or use an electric shoe sanitizer. (ie:SteriShoe TM)
- Keep your feet as dry as possible.
- Change your footwear to ensure the material allows your feet to breathe.
- Sprinkle baking soda in your shoes to kill bacteria.
- Odor eaters and powder to your feet.
- If your shoes stink, don’t wear them.