You can easily get your bunion pain under control with simple home care.
When was the last time you really looked at your feet? If you suddenly noticed that your big toe is leaning against the other toes and the joint at the base of the big toe is jutting out, then you could very well be dealing with a bunion. While bunions can happen to anyone, our Near North Chicago, IL, podiatrists Dr. Marc Feder, Dr. Jason Kalk and Dr. Jacob Richey see them most often in women.
If you have been diagnosed with bunions, there are simple strategies that you can implement in your daily life that can slow the progression of this common deformity and prevent you from needing surgery down the road. Here are some ways to manage your bunions,
- Avoid shoes that have a pointed toe or heels higher than 2 inches
- Wear shoes that have a wide toe box, provide ample cushioning and support, and are properly fitted
- Apply an ice pack for 10-15 minutes to reduce swelling
- Take a pain reliever like ibuprofen when pain and swelling appear
- Lose excess weight (if overweight or obese), which can take the pressure off of your feet
- Apply a non-medicated pad to your bunion before putting on shoes (this can prevent friction and reduce the risk for a callus)
- Tape or brace the foot to realign the deformed joint
- Stretch and exercise your feet and toes every day to improve strength and mobility
- Consider wearing a splint at night while you sleep, which can also temporarily realign the joint
When to See a Podiatrist
If you don’t know whether or not your foot pain is caused by a bunion then it’s a good idea to see our Near North Chicago, IL, foot doctors for an evaluation. If you’ve already been diagnosed with a bunion by a qualified foot care professional and your at-home care isn’t providing you with the relief you need then this is another reason to come into our practice.
If you are dealing with moderate to severe bunion pain that isn’t responding to nonsurgical treatment options, then you may want to discuss with us whether a bunionectomy might be right for you.
Worried that you might be dealing with a bunion? Living with bunion pain around the Near North Chicago, IL, area? If so, call Affiliated Podiatrists today at (773) 631-2079 to schedule an evaluation with one of our foot and ankle professionals.